The most popular versions of The Night Sky™ planisphere are the large and small plastic charts. These versions are made in the USA using durable plastic facing for the front and back and are secured with no-corrosion brass rivets. These planispheres are built to last; you will probably go through several telescope upgrades in your lifetime but will never need to upgrade your planisphere.
Our plastic planispheres are available in two sizes:
Large Plastic The Night Sky™ measures 10″ high x 8 1/2″ wide with 8″ dia. map.
Small Plastic The Night Sky™ measures 6″ high x 5″ wide with a 5″ dia. map
The Night Sky is Designed to be Used!
- Unlike coffee-table planispheres, The Night Sky is printed with dark stars on a light background, for easy nighttime readability.
- The constellations are drawn simply, emphasizing the brighter stars which makes them easy to recognize and locate with the naked eye or entry level equipment.
- Coordinate grid lines are shown without being intrusive. Coordinates are shown because they can be useful for cross referencing with star atlases.
- A selection of deep sky objects for binocular viewing is included. It is important to point out to beginners that the best first telescope is a pair of binoculars. You may already have what it takes to start observing tonight!
- The Night Sky is larger than it looks! The map scale is larger than on similar-size planispheres because the whole sky does not have to be shown on a single map. Even the 5″ pocket version is large enough to be quite readable.
The Night Sky is widely recognized by the amateur astronomy and educational communities as the overall best planisphere on the market.Shop Plastic Planispheres